I hate making resolutions. Goals, yeah, I’m on board with goals. But resolutions never seem to make it back around to the next December.
I did, however, have a pretty successful 2012 in that I published three full length novels and wrote a fourth. I started writing Clutch on January 3, 2012 and I published all three books on October 1 (actually, it was like September 19th I think). So yay for me.
Nonetheless, I am now self-employed (with all the awesome tax burdens that come with here in America) and I need to get my act together. I’ve always been productive, at least by average standards. But I really need to get back to being a morning person instead of a night owl. I work so much better in the morning and I love checking things off my list before noon.
Anyway, enough about my lazy tendencies, here’s what I’m resolving to do in 2013:
- Publish the last two Junco novels, Range and Return, and the new novella (title still secret- unless you’re James, and then he might have guessed because I sorta told him)
- Make a book trailer for Range and Return (and probably the new PNR series too – fuck, that’s like five trailers this year. It’s a total time suck, so if I get rich, this will be the next thing I’ll outsource)
- Write at least two blog posts for this blog each week (Marketing Mondays and something else cool about SF)
- Build my Junco newsletter list up to 500 subscribers. I think I’m at like 250 now, so this might be undershooting.
- Publish all three of the new/young adult paranormal/urban romance novels (titles still secret, except James, because I definitely told him this one)
- Publish two new units every month for Simple Schooling (one high school and one for the little kids)
- Buy Articulate Storyline…I have the money right now but I just can’t make myself click the purchase button…it makes me sick just thinking about buying new e-learning software.
- Redesign my SS website and move all my stuff and subscribers over to that new website.
- Start a new marketing website for authors.
- Actually keep track of my accounting stuff on the computer. I bought Quickbooks, or whatever that program is called, last year and never even opened it. I did install it, just never opened it afterward. I hate dealing with money – I just want it to be there when I spend it. Why can’t that just happen?
- Get up at 7 every day. Boo…I’m not liking this one at all. I like to sleep in till 9 now.
- Go to RomCon in June because it’s in Colorado Springs this year and that would be crack-head insane not to go since I can see Pikes Peak from my window. And maybe, if the RomCon is fun, go to the Mile-Hi Con too. It’s at the Tech Center, which is even closer than the Springs, so…yeah. No excuses next year. I’ll have five freaking SF books out by then.
- EDIT: Oops, I totally forgot about publishing some smut to see if it sells.
I think my list is overly ambitious, so I expect it will not go as planned, but I’ll be happy with
eight nine out of twelve thirteen.